Some of our regular newsletter readers would have already read about The Who Cares? Trust in our current newsletter – and some of you may have even got to read (or subscribe to) a copy of their Who Cares? and Who Cares? Junior magazines!
Our Children’s Champion went to meet Elizabeth, from The Who Cares? Trust to find out more about them, what they do and how they help children in care and how children in care can get involved.
The Who Cares? Trust specifically works with young people in care, ensuring that they are supported to access the services and support they need in order to achieve and enjoy.
They helped set up the Looked After Children and Care Leavers APPG (All-Party Parliamentary Group) in 1998 and have acted as the Secretariat since then. This means that they go to Parliament from time to time, and they use these meetings to ensure new legislations or changes to them put children and young people in focus and that their voices and opinions are heard.
The below is from their website about the APPG, and points out the main reasons as to why the group exists, and what it does:
- Ensure that the voices of young people with experience of public care are heard by Government.
- Ensure that legislation addresses the particular needs of children and young people in and leaving care and to debate key policy and practice issues.
- Ensure liaison at parliamentary level with organisations working with children and young people in and leaving care.
- Highlight good practice in working with children and young people in and leaving care.
- Discuss and, where appropriate, pursue topical issues which arise in relation to children and young people in and leaving care.
- Be a powerful voice on behalf of children and young people in and leaving care.
How young people can get involved:
- Weekly meeting attendances
- Magazine editor roles
- The ‘hang out’ sessions – with activities like ice skating or bowling!
- Getting in touch to highlight opinions, or views
The best way for young people to get in touch with them is through our Children’s Champion, Naomi, or directly. You can get in touch with Naomi via the London Office, or The Who Cares? Trust using their website or on 0207 251 3117.
If you would like further advice on fostering, or need general information, please do get in touch with us.