Here at Welcome Foster Care we organised our very first Big Day Out on 29th May 2014.
We wanted to organise a day out for all our carers, children, families, staff and partners as a way of saying a massive thank you for all their work, involvement and support with Welcome Foster Care. The aims of the day were to engage everyone in a whole range of activities which would be enjoyable, healthy, educational and fun. We hoped that everyone would take the opportunity to get to know each other better too.
We spent the day at Nell Bank in Ilkley, which is a beautiful setting. The day consisted of outdoor team activities, delicious refreshments and a prize giving ceremony at the end of the day. We took part in competitions to ski on concrete, fill tubes of water and find Gruffalos. We also tried orienteering, explored the adventure playgrounds and generally had a lot of fun!
We thoroughly enjoyed our first annual Big Day Out at Nell Bank.
Here are some of the comments from carers, young people, and others who attended the event;
- Robbie was friendly to meet; I’ve never met him before
- I liked lunch
- I like to play with my new friend and games, skiing was the best
- Very educational and fun. Amazing day out and yummy food well done Welcome ***** (5 stars)
- Nell Bank with Welcome was good fun, especially for younger children. Food was lovely
- It was okay. It was educational for the young children
- We liked playing in the water and going on the digger
- Good fun
- Green and lush
- Playing outside in the rain and hiding in the tunnels – not squirting the mummies though
- Fantastic facilities
- Fantastic setting – a really lovely welcome and excellent support all day from Nell Bank staff enjoyed meeting other families and doing activities
- Liked exploring and having fun in the playground
It was brilliant to see so many carers, children and families and staff members all together, getting to know each other and having fun.
A great day was had by all!
Every family who attended received an award, certificate, and goody bag and the award ceremony recognized every child’s strengths, interests and achievements.
We have already started planning for next year’s event, so watch this space…